Meet the Team
Masaki Mizuno, M.D.
Dr. Mizuno earned his doctoral degree in 2005 from Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship at UT Southwestern in 2009 and then joined the faculty in 2011. He is currently an active member of the American Physiological Society, the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association.
Juan Estrada, Ph.D.
Ayumi Fukazawa, Ph.D.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow
Amane Hori, Ph.D.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow
Martha Romero, B.S.
Arizona State University
Rie Ishizawa, Ph.D., RD
Senior Assistant Professor
National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Kanoya
Norio Hotta, Ph.D.
Nan Liang, Ph.D.
Dr. Mizuno's laboratory studies autonomic control of the cardiovascular system, focusing on the mechanisms underlying alterations in circulatory control in type1 or type2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. More specifically, the lab is actively investigating the central and peripheral mechanisms underpinning the abnormal alterations in sympathetic nerve activity that accompany the pathogenesis of these diseases.
NIH NHLBI R01HL151632
- Antagonism of TRPV4 channels partially reduces mechanotransduction in rat skeletal muscle afferents. Fukazawa A, Hori A, Norio H, Katanosaka K, Estrada JA, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Iwamoto GA, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W, Mizuno M, J Physiol 2023 Mar
- Insulin potentiates the response to capsaicin in dorsal root ganglion neurons in vitro and muscle afferents ex vivo in normal healthy rodents Hori A, Norio H, Fukazawa A, Estrada JA, Katanosaka K, Mizumura K, Sato J, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, J Physiol 2021 Dec
- The Impact of Insulin Resistance on Cardiovascular Control during Exercise in Diabetes Mizuno M, Hotta N, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Iwamoto G, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Exerc Sport Sci Rev 2021 May
- TRPV1 (Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1) Sensitization of Skeletal Muscle Afferents in Type 2 Diabetic Rats With Hyperglycemia Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Hotta N, Iwamoto GA, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W, Mizuno M, Hypertension 2021 Mar HYPERTENSIONAHA12015672
- Insulin resistance is associated with an exaggerated blood pressure response to ischemic rhythmic handgrip exercise in non-diabetic older adults Hotta N, Hori A, Okamura Y, Baba R, Watanabe H, Sugawara J, Vongpatanasin W, Wang J, Kim HK, Ishizawa R, Iwamoto GA, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2020 Jun 25.
- Skeletal Muscle Reflex-Induced Sympathetic Dysregulation and Sensitization of Muscle Afferents in Type 1 Diabetic Rats Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Hotta N, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Hypertension 2020 Feb HYPERTENSION AHA11914118
- Insulin potentiates the response to mechanical stimuli in small dorsal root ganglion neurons and thin fibre muscle afferents in vitro Hotta N, Katanosaka K, Mizumura K, Iwamoto GA, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 2019 Aug
- Exaggerated pressor and sympathetic responses to stimulation of the mesencephalic locomotor region and exercise pressor reflex in type II diabetic rats Kim HK, Hotta N, Ishizawa R, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2019 May
- The Pressor Response to Concurrent Stimulation of the Mesencephalic Locomotor Region and Peripheral Sensory Afferents Is Attenuated in Normotensive but Not Hypertensive Rats Liang N, Iwamoto GA, Downey RM, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M Front Physiol 2019 10 95
- Exaggerated sympathetic and cardiovascular responses to stimulation of the mesencephalic locomotor region in spontaneously hypertensive rats Liang N, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2015 Nov ajpheart.00479.2015