Dr. Tzen’s research theme revolves around pressure injury and diabetic foot ulcer risk identification and prevention. Dr. Tzen utilizes non-invasive skin blood flow measurement to quantify severity of tissue ischemia and microvascular dysfunction. She investigated effectiveness of local cooling and alternating pressure on enhancing tissue tolerance toward pressure in people with spinal cord injury, and changes in microvascular function in trauma patients with spinal cord injury and people with type 2 diabetes. She currently expanded her research to include energy metabolism as a modifiable predictor for chronic wound formation.
- Predictors of one year pressure injury outcomes in hospitalized spinal cord injured veterans with one stage 3 or 4 pressure injury
- Champagne PT, Tzen YT, Wang J, Bennett B, Van Beest D, Tan WH. J Spinal Cord Med 2023 Feb
- Utilisation of skin blood flow as a precursor for pressure injury development in persons with acute spinal cord injury: A proof of concept.
- Tzen YT, Champagne PT, Rao V, Wang J, Tan WH, Klakeel M, Jain NB, Wukich DK, Koh TJ, Int Wound J 2022 May
- Healthcare utilization and outcomes of spinal cord injured veterans with stage 3-4 pressure injuries.
- Van Beest D, Koh SJ, Tzen YT, Wang J, Moore-Matthews D, Kargel JS, Cutrell JB, Bedimo RJ, Bennett BR, Tan WH, J Spinal Cord Med 2022 Apr 1-9
- Assessing Skin Blood Flow and Interface Pressure in Patients With Spinal Cord Injury Provided an Alternating Pressure Overlay: A Cross-sectional Study
- Tzen YT, Purohit R, Mei S, Tan WH, Wound Manag Prev 2020 03 66 3 16-28
- Implementing local cooling to increase skin tolerance to ischemia during normal seating in people with spinal cord injury.
- Tzen YT, Brienza DM, Karg PE, J Tissue Viability 2019 Nov 28 4 173-178
- Increased skin blood flow during low intensity vibration in human participants: Analysis of control mechanisms using short-time Fourier transform.
- Tzen YT, Weinheimer-Haus EM, Corbiere TF, Koh TJ, PLoS ONE 2018 13 7 e0200247
Dr. Tzen presented at the 2023 NPIAP conference
Dr. Yi-Ting Tzen presented "Markers for pressure injury in patients with spinal cord injuries" at the 2023 National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel annual Conference at San Diego, CA.
March 17th, 2023
Ms. Tasha Champagne presented at the 2022 ACRM conference
PhD student Ms. Tasha Champagne presented her research study "Predictors of one year pressure injury outcomes in hospitalized spinal cord injured veterans" at the 2022 American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine annual Conference at Chicago, IL.
Nov. 10th, 2022
Dr. Tzen received research grant from the PVA Research Foundation
Dr. Yi-Ting Tzen received research grant from the Paralyzed Veterans of America Research Foundation.
Jan. 1st, 2021