Read about founding of the Ethics in Science and Medicine Program in the UT Southwestern Magazine, 2000
Grinnell bioethics trajectory
Interests: human research ethics, research integrity, ethical issues in genomic medicine
- 1991 - Established research integrity teaching for UTSW graduate students and later post-doctoral fellows. See RCR discussion questions here.
- 1992 - NIH Strategic Plan Task Force (Code of Ethics Panel)
- 1993-1999 - ASBMB Public Policy Committee (1997, drafted the society’s Code of Ethics)
- 1995-1996 - AAAS, Scientific Integrity Video Project
- 1998 - Founded (with John Sadler) and first director of the UTSW Program in Ethics in Science and Medicine. (Program goals were to gather, distribute, and publicize ethics-related research and educational activities at UT Southwestern, bring together individuals interested in ethics, develop new initiatives, and coordinate teaching activities. The program also develops and promote educational activities with other institutions in north Texas. See collected bioethics resources for high school students here.)
- 1998-2004 - FASEB, Science Policy Committee, (1999-2001; Chair: Human Subjects and Bioethics Subcommittee)
- 2001-2002 - National Academies Institute of Medicine, Committee on Assessing Integrity in Research Environments
- 2004 - Organized (with Tom Mayo, Southern Methodist University) the North Texas Bioethics Network to promote bioethics activities in North Texas.
- 2014 - Began teaching Introduction to Biomedical Ethics enrichment elective for 1st year medical students.